My research profile is of an interdisciplinary nature. I work on two research tracks:
- Human thermal environments: One of my research areas focuses on human and thermal environment interactions, the effects of thermal climate factors including heat and cold on thermal physiology, heat balance, health, thermal comfort and performance, and on strategies to cope with thermal stress, maintain productivity and prevent heat and cold induced stress and illnesses through transdisciplinary approach. Examples of ongoing research are as follows.
- Slips and falls, gait biomechanics, balance and slip resistance of human movement, human physical work capacity.
Recent research projects
- 2017-2020: Coordinator and Lead PI, EU co-fund collaboration research project: Translating climate service into personalized adaptation strategies to cope with thermal climate stress (http://www.jpi-climate.eu/nl/25223441-ClimApp.html), funded by European Research Area for Climate Services (ERA4CS) and participating countries (Formas in Sweden, IFD in Denmark, NWO in The Netherlands) http://www.lth.se/climapp/.
- 2016-2020: partner, EU Horizon 2020 – Research and Innovation Framework Programme (H2020-PHC-2015) “Integrated inter-sector framework to increase the thermal resilience of European workers in the context of global warming (HEAT-SHIELD, https://www.heat-shield.eu/)”, financed by the European Union under grant agreement No 668786.
- 2016: PI, “Sportswear, thermal physiological responses and thermal comfort”, financed by Taiwan Textile Research Institute.
- 2016-2020: partner, “Sustainable indoor environment in multi-family housing after renovation - a holistic approach to building performance, energy, indoor environment quality, and residents´ behavior and well-being”, financed by the Swedish Research Council Formas and Energy Agency,
- 2014-2015: partner in two multidisciplinary cooperation projects at Pufendorf Institute, Lund University: 1) HEAT, 2) Healthy Indoor Environments
- 2012: PI, “Validation of ASTM standard F2732 and comparison with ISO 11079 with respect to comfort temperature ratings for cold weather protective clothing”, the 3rd project in collaboration with Taiwan Textile Research Institute.
- 2010-2013: PI, “Slip and fall accidents, friction requirements, and balance ability”, financed by AFA Insurance, Sweden
- 2009-2010: Main participant, “Personal cooling with smart textiles (phase change materials, PCMs)”, financed by Sweden VINNOVA research and growth programme in collaboration with TST-Sweden AB.
Teaching and education
I have participated in teaching the following courses and in supervising Master and PhD students:
- Human performance in extreme environments (IDRN09, MAMF35)
- Human and indoor environments (TFRC05)
- Biomechanics (FHLF05)
- Introduction to Doctoral Education in Work Environment/Ergonomics (PhD course)
- Human Thermal Environments (PhD course)
- Measurement Methodologies for Thermal Environment Research (PhD course)
Editor and guest editor
- Climate change and health section editor: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
- Special Issue editor: "Climate Services, Weather Forecasts and Prevention of Human Thermal Stress"
- Book editor: F. Wang and C. Gao, Protective Clothing: Managing Thermal Stress, Woodhead Publishing, 2014
- h-index: 18 - as of October 18 2018 from Web of Science www.researcherid.com/rid/C-6904-2011..
- ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7386-692X
- Research Portal: http://portal.research.lu.se/portal/en/persons/chuansi-gao(83f97dcc-1fe1-4456-ad47-73d4e5d74f6e)/publications.html